I’m counting down the days until I journey to California to begin my clinical internship with Music Worx Inc. It’s official- i’m finally in the single digits! 4 days left in Rochester, NY, 9 days until I leave my hometown, Buffalo, NY, and FINALLY I will take myself, 2 cats and 1 finance in my Volkswagen Beetle and travel cross-country. We will make 3 overnight stops along the way in St. Louis, Amarillo TX, and Flagstaff AZ (Rt. 66!). It’s certain to be one of the most adventurous and exhilarating 4 days of my life.
As I have these last few days to sneak in my CPR course, practice general population songs, and pack up the rest of my life here on the East Coast, i’m also trying to reflect- reflect on my last 3 years as a music therapy undergrad, on all my past clincial encounters, on what I want to see in my future, and what kind of intern I want to be.
What makes a good intern?
- Someone who is not afraid to take risks (within reason!) and go with their gut.
- Someone who is not afraid to ask questions, and learn from their errors in judgement.
- Someone who is passionate about what they are doing.
- Someone who has the best interest of the facility or company they are interning for in mind.
- Someone who is constantly striving to grow, even after the completion of their internship.