I just took my last exam! RELIEF! I’m all freed up for the summer. However, I can’t help but shake this feeling of emptiness. I KNOW every student feels it… the “what do I do now?” feeling. As students, we’re so used to running ragged for 8 months out of the year, and when we’re all done, we’re not sure how to appreciate the time off. Word of advice: don’t waste your time staying up until 5 am and sleeping until 2 in the afternoon like I have a tendency to do during vacations. I’ve made a vow to myself that I will make a goal list… and finish it! Here are a few of my goals for this summer… feel free to take some of mine, and don’t be afraid to add your own!
- Catch up on personal reading!- We are constantly reading stuff for our classes but we never, ever have time during the school year to read things we really want to. Here our a few suggestions from myself and other students:
– “The Curious Case of the Dog in the NIght” by Mark Haddon
– “This is your brain on music” by Daniel Levitan
– “Musicophilia” by Oliver Sacks
- Research internships- This is my biggest goal! I’m heading into my senior year and the time to start applying is going to sneak up sooner than I’m ready. Research populations, sites, site phiosophies, and gather applications.
- Find a population your interested in and see if there is a music therapist working with that population in your area. Shoot them a professional email and ask if you could shadow them and/or volunteer. It’s a great thing for your resume, and gives you excellent experience!
- Learn a cool new instrument thats not to intense. I want to learn harmonica and maybe recorder this summer. It will just add to the list of cool skills you have, and it will really come in handy when your a professional or in your practicums as a student if you can bust on different instruments.
- Network and work on your resume. Not always fun, but it pays off in the end.
- Relax! By all means!!! Do things you really enjoy that your normally to busy to do. I’m hitting up the public market tomorrow because buying local is something i’m really passionate about. Re-connect with yourself because during the school year it’s easy to put that on the back burner!
Have a great summer everyone!!